where I share my experiences with the art of writing, publishing, and book marketing

where I share my experiences with the art of writing, publishing, and book marketing

Monday, August 12, 2013

My Lame Ass Marketing Strategy:Step 1

The sensible part of my strategy was to refocus on a blog and then supplement that with a Facebook page dedicated to my writing.  I'm talkin' baby steps here folks.

The awful part was sending out a mass e-mailing announcing a new book upload to Amazon and Smashwords.  I hate doing that.  I always feel like a door to door salesman, at least this way I don't have to watch the customer slam the door in my face.  Still I know that in  my circle of e-mail contacts are people who have an interest and so it seems necessary. I always ask them to pass the word around. Problem is, I have no way that I know of to track the success of that e-mail. My blog did get some traffic and I received two thank you e-mails so that was as tracked as that got.

I have been taking notes and jotting down ideas for future blog posts My plan is to post several times a week.

I've been posting something to my Facebook page everyday and it has gotten a lot of attention.  I credit that with the sale of 1 book, because it is where I announced that Smashwords had approved me and the book sold right after that. On Amazon I sold two of the new book-- one down 999,997 to go, and one of my first book.  Facebook has some helpful ways to track how your posts are being viewed in the admin panel. Check it out, they are easy to use and understand.

Now I need to generate a buzz.  I'm kind of a modest person, (really, trust me) so self promoting is awkward for me.  Anybody have any advice about that?

So to wrap up: Blog and Facebook posts were the most useful, but e-mail did generate interest, and interest no matter how small is still interest. I have faced the fact that until I know what I'm doing my reader base will only grow as I do.  I believe that as I become proficient at marketing that will improve.

Thanks for being here!


No comments:

Post a Comment