where I share my experiences with the art of writing, publishing, and book marketing

where I share my experiences with the art of writing, publishing, and book marketing

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

My pursuit of Press Release Distribution

I have my media kits ready and ten sample books to send out to interviewers and or reviewers. I have spent the last several days pursuing services that will take some of the load off of this starving author.  I wrote my own Press release through PR Log and I probably should have done more research on the front end of this but I am a one man jerk of all trades right now and my learning curve on this aspect of the biz is huge.

Once The Press Release was posted on PR Log I began to receive requests from companies to serve me in submitting the release to media outlets.  Hurray!! I could stop searching for current book editors at every major paper and magazine in the U.S.; or so I thought.  One thread leads to another and I still have some unravelling to do.

What to do, what to do?  
There are companies out there who will gladly take your money and distribute your press release for you.  Here are some things to be aware of when approaching these companies for their services:
*Who exactly are they distributing to?  Are the contacts genre specific.  I'm certain a DIY editor is not interested in seeing my Mystery Novel.  I saw a review of one company where an editor was simply ignoring emails from a service because they sent ALL of their clients' press releases to them.  Editors are busy people.  They don't have time to sort through for genre specific releases.
*Where are they distributing: Locally, Regionally. Nationally, Internationally?  Be sure you know what you are paying for.  Each list and additional service can cost around $100
*What information are they supplying to the editors?  A book name and your phone number or email? Or are they supplying web site links and book trailers if you have them.


Another way to go..
Purchase UP TO DATE media lists that have current book editors names, email contacts, phone numbers and mailing addresses. This can be a good way to go if you have time and don't mind contacting the editors with a brief (1page) cover letter about who you are and why you wrote the book to go along with the press release.
These lists are available by state, type of media, ( for example newspapers, TV, radio) so do your research and be confident that you are purchasing what you need.  You can purchase lists seperately from these companies for around $100.
Again there are several companies that provide these services and although I cannot recommend one over the other; I found a good source was www.easymedialist.com 
they allow you to pick and choose from their list so you only pay for what you want. I recommend checking them out for no other reason than to get a feel for what is out there.
The link for their newspaper book editors is here:
http://www.easymedialist.com/usa/top100books.html
They have a sister company that expands on their lists through membership. http://www.mondotimes.com/  browse their site to see what they have to offer, from a free membership to professional.

Search for news media guides and or Press Release Distribution
There are several companies that offer these services. I am not recommending any of them, but my research has caused me to ask the questions I have laid out for you.  Search for news media guides and or Press Release Distribution and they will come up for you.

I am in the process of weighing my options at this time, but wanted to share my thoughts so far, so those of you going through this might have an easier time.  I will write again in a few days to share my decision and experience.  Perhaps at that time I will have a  recommendation.

Happy hunting, and thanks for your consideration,
Nance

No comments:

Post a Comment